The IJ Homes and Children’s Centres (IJHCC) has a rich and long history, beginning in 1854 when the first IJ Sisters, fondly known as the IJ Sisters, arrived in Singapore from France to set up schools for girls. Right from the time the school was first opened, babies were left abandoned at its gate (fondly known as the 'Gate of Hope'). Ever since then, the IJ Sisters founded a service to care for these abandoned children.
This was the origin of what became known as the Convent Orphanage and Home for Abandoned Babies.
Over the years, this service evolved with the changing needs of the social landscape of SIngapore.
Today, the IJ Sisters, together with the lay partners, remain called to the service of the poor.