Please note that the names of the beneficiaries are not their real names, so as to protect their identities.
Quotations from beneficiaries :
(a) IJ CENTRE, CLEMENTI
1. “ I learnt so many things here, like cooking, reading, learning maths and many things…I also learned that I must not shout at my mother..”
– written by Ranee, 13 years old who attends special school.
2. “I can see the great improvement my child made after coming to the Centre. I will never forget all the help I received from the staff of the Centre: I have many problems especially financial and many times, I received rations that helped to keep my family going. As you know, I have 4 other children, one is still a baby. They also invite my family to join in some of the outings… otherwise, we never get a chance…thank you.”
– written by Nisha (mother, whose child is a resident at the Centre).
3. Sally is 23 today. She was brought into residential care when she was 4 years old. After her mother passed away, she and her sister were looked after by baby sitters; then her father became very ill and the baby sitter used to treat them badly. During a recent meeting, she said, “We are so lucky that my father’s friend told my father to seek help at the IJ Centre. Here, we were well cared for, we were loved and we learnt many things… “ Sally is pursuing tertiary studies at the moment.
1. “The Oasis has helped me to learn Self-discipline and confidence.”
–written by Tracy, 11 years old.
2. “I have learnt to respect others and be responsible for myself. My schoolwork has improved!”
– written by Venus, 11 years old.
3. “I am now more prepared and more confidence to face new challenges and experiences.”
– written by Ronald, 11 years old.
(c) GALILEE CENTRE
1) “Galilee Centre is a beautiful place where I treasure. This is a place that I have grown up in since the age of 2.5 years old. I am always very happy to come to the Centre to learn and have fun. The teachers are very kind and caring to me. I cherish every moment I spend in the Centre.”
- written by Angel, 9 years old.
2) “I feel that the teachers in Galilee are caring and helpful. The activities organized here are also fun and interesting. I have made a lot of friends here. I feel a sense of belonging in Galilee Centre.’
– written by Lucas, 11 years old.
3) “I am very thankful to Galilee Centre as the staff have helped me and my family a lot, especially in my children’s studies. I have seen progress in my children particularly in their reading skills. I am very happy and satisfied with Galilee Centre. In Galilee, my children learnt a lot of things such as respect, table manners, character development and others. My children are very happy and excited when Galilee Centre organized outing for them. Thank you so much, Galilee Centre, especially to Theresa, Sandy and Doris.”
– written by Ruby, a parent of 3 children who attend Galilee Centre.